Brighten up the winter night with outdoor light, it will guide the way of those slipping around on the icy sidewalks
while casting a warm light on the winter night.
What You Will Need:
Large metal mixing bowl
Plastic yogurt container
A cupful of small stones or coins
Freezing outdoor temperature (check!)
What To Do:
- Have your child pout a couple inches of water into the mixing bowl
- Place outdoors to freeze
- Fill the yogurt container with the stones or pennies, then center it on the ice in the bowl.
- Slowly pour more water into the bowl so that it nearly reaches the rim of the smaller container, and let it freeze solid.
- To remove the lantern from its mould, run warm water on the outside of the bowl and the ice should slip out.
- Dump out the contents of the inner container and pour in warm water to loosen it. Remove the container and place a candle in the opening.